Children – Custody, Access, Residence, Contact – What does it all mean?

It’s all so confusing.

How can you make sure that arrangements for your children are agreed? What is the correct terminology? What does it all mean?

Clients will often come in and see us and are totally confused by what they should be doing when trying to arrange how their children see both parents during and after separation and divorce.

It is hardly surprising as the terminology that people use is often out of date and misleading. This can cause anxiety and upset during what can be an already stressful time.

Custody and access

This common phrase is, rather surprisingly to many clients, completely out of date and has been for the last 30 years! These concepts no longer apply.

residence and contact

Again another popular phrase. However, again this is no longer appropriate terminology to use when discussing arrangements for children. Many Judges and Lawyers do still use it however given the rather awkward wording that has now been in place since 2014.

living with and spending time with

Since 2014 this is the correct wording to use. Collectively these are types of Child Arrangements Orders.

In our Family Department we are able to guide you through the maze of confusing terminology.

Jo Scott and Sue McArthur are each able to provide you with advice and guidance to help you understand your options.